Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

The Comedian asked me last night

"If you could have the ideal life right now what would it be? What would you change?"

I thought about it and my response was simple. I might change my job and maybe add a couple people to my life but other than that, I'm pretty content in my life how it is, I wouldn't change anything. Here's my philosophy on that whole thing. I've come to the understanding that I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing to learn what I'm suppose to learn at this point in my life. Wishing I had more money or a different car or a bigger house doesn't make me happy. Being happy with what I have and who I have in my life makes me happy.

I've never been about money, maybe cause I never grew up with it... when I moved to Texas my mother worked 3 jobs to support my sister and I. We lived with my Uncle for years after my father decided to jump ship and until my mom met my step-dad she struggled and we lived simple. In fact, I've always lived simply. I wore shoes from Payless, clothes from Wal-mart and JC Penny and I was ok with it until the kids at school made fun of me for it which is why I have a tendency to cringe when people think that money is everything. Yes, we eventually moved into a nice house and had nicer things but my mother never let that change my point of view on things. I don't look down on those who don't have money nor do I look up to those who do.

We are all put in situations at the exact moment that we should be so that we learn the lessons we are suppose to. It's up to us to decide whether we are happy with what we are given or whether we fight to change the course of our lives.

I will never be dissatisfied with the things that I have worked for but I will never be completely content because there are always better opportunities along the way we just have to choose the one that we think is best for this particular time in our lives.

1 comment:

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

This is a GREAT post :)

"Being happy with what I have and who I have in my life makes me happy."

and I completely agree.