Friday, June 13, 2008

Feels like home



My friend Meredith is moving to Cali so she had a little going away party last night at Zubar. If you've never been to Zubar they play hip hop/house music. When I say hip hop, I mean REAL hip hop. Not that top 40's shit they play at every other bar in Dallas. AND to top the good music - I can rock my sneakers and a t-shirt and be comfortable instead of having to worry about whether I'm showing enough cleavage to get the bartender to notice me.

As some may or may not know I use to be really big into breaking and underground hip hop quite a few years ago and had I stuck with it, I'd probably be pretty decent... However, I was dating one of my crew members and when things didn't work out I decided to pursue the choreography side of things and I don't regret that decision at all. I've had a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't have had if I stuck with breaking. I still get the chance to dabble in it a little with shows BUT I can only do the basics. Good enough for me.

I ran into a bunch of people I use to hang out with back in the day and danced and it felt like old times, like I had never been out of the scene to begin with...I rocked the circle a little and laughed with friends, acted like an idiot, etc. And all I could think is "God, I miss this"... I miss the days when I use to go out with the guys and we rocked jeans and sneakers and danced ALL night - to the point where I would be dripping with sweat and my hair was curly by the end of the night. Nights where I didn't care that I looked like I ran a marathon and I didn't care cause I just wanted to dance...Nights where everyone around me was there for the same reason. Good music, friends and dance...It felt like home. Like I was back to my element and even though I'm not in the scene anymore it's amazing to hear music that makes you want to do something OTHER than shake your ass.

A place where bitches in tiny outfits aren't spilling drinks all over the dance floor.

It was good to be home

No comments: