Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sugar-coated cereal and swing-sets

It's been almost a month since I've blogged but frankly fake blogging is not my forte so therefore I've waited until I had something to say.

I miss the days of sugar-coated cereal and swing-sets and albeit I'm not above partaking in those goodies, it's not on my regularly scheduled programming. It's now organic whole grain flakes with fat free milk (although I have THOUGHT about covering those flakes with chocolate soy milk before). I will admit (and my friends/family will back me) that I am eternally 12... I like coloring books and the zoo and cartoons. How I love cartoons. But why is it that as we grow we feel the need to leave those things behind. Why shouldn't I eat Lucky Charms for breakfast everyday(and dinner if I prefer) and eat a box of macaroni and cheese for dinner. Not even the good Velveta kind, I'm talking the uber powdery Kraft kind... where you have to add like a stick of butter and milk. The kind you can't eat with a fork because the cheese is too runny... THAT kind.

Why is it that we feel like we must leave our childhood behind?

When love was as simple as a punch in the arm from the boy you liked...
When Big Wheels were THE mode of transportation...
When I knew that the world was perfect and I believed in everyone and everything and fairy tales...

I want to go back to the days when I could ride my bike down the street and not have to worry about pervs. When it was acceptable to say whatever you wanted just because you were a child and didn't know any better. When climbing UP the slide was the way to go. When it wasn't frowned upon to play on the playground.

I want to be able to love life again. Don't get me wrong, I love MY life and the world that I have created for myself but I want to be able to love LIFE. Living, breathing, loving, laughing...LIFE. All those things we slowly start to forget about along the way. I want to sit down with a coloring book and a set of 64 crayons and color. I want to stand in front of the Monkey enclosure at the zoo and admire how much they are like us. How they act like children. How they like to play and laugh and just be monkeys.

I just want to be able to be...Me. The girl who laughs at EVERYTHING. The girl that doesn't care about what people think. The girl that will talk to whomever just because people are awesome. The girl that knows that life isn't meant to be boring, it's meant to be fun and an adventure. A life of no regrets.

There is only one thing that I wouldn't trade for the life of Sugar-Coated Cereal and Swing-sets. The ability to APPRECIATE living and loving and laughing. APPRECIATE my friends and family.

APPRECIATE that I can, if I choose to.. Eat Sugar-Coated cereal and play on swing-sets.

No comments: